Thursday, September 4, 2008

WHAT IS "NOTHING"? WHAT IS "EVERYTHING"?

When you have nothing left - when you've sustained a great loss - 
when you are aware of how small you really are - 
when you are desperate for God - 
when you freely give mercy - when your motives are pure - 
when you show that peace is possible - 
when you are misunderstood because you love God -
You are blessed.

I want to be about the things that Jesus is about. But I can't unless Christ is in me. I can't give what I don't have, so I need more of Jesus.  So many people I know are unfulfilled. They pursue their career, relationships, success, money, etc. From what I can see (and I'm including myself) we often think that "doing" will give us meaning, will fulfill us, will satisfy us. As I live my life and teach my children, I have to continually remind myself that it's all about "being" not "doing". Any and all of my "doing" has to flow from me "being" in Christ (and I fully believe that being in Christ results in a lot of doing like Christ).

It is only then that we get everything - life now - life everlasting (we will continue to discuss this in days to come).

God says that "My grace is enough - my power shows through when you are weak" 2 Corinthians 12:9. God seems to says that: people see me when you don't try and do it all yourself, when you don't try to control everything, when you don't try and figure it all out, when you don't try to have all the answers. 


1 comment:

Maura said...

Great thoughts, Carol...I really began understanding "being" when my kids were babies/toddlers and I was home with them dealing with the mundane day in and day out...not getting alot of opportunities to "do" for God...I was feeling sort of set aside- especially having come off of three years married and heavily involved in ministry. It was awesome though because began to see that I was finding my identity more in what I "did" for God rather than who I was in Him...Thank you Jesus!