Friday, September 5, 2008

JESUS AND POTTY TRAINING

Yes, it's messy. Yes, it's stinky. Yes, there are accidents. Yes, it takes patience. Yes, things finally progress. And Yes, you move on to the next phase of growing up . . . 

Yup, I'm potty training my 2 year old son. And I can't help to think about the correlation between it and my relationship with God. Why does God put up with my messiness, my stinky-ness, my accidents and mistakes? Out of His great love, He shows me how to live. 

One time I was preparing to teach and I asked God what I needed to share and He said "life now." That my life in the present matters. That Jesus came to bring His Kingdom and that Eternity starts now. There isn't a life now and something unrelated in eternity future. My eternal life in Christ began when I declared Him as Lord of my life (Romans 10:9). Jesus' life mattered. To follow Him, we must know Him. To be like Him, we must know Him. He longs to show us how to live. And of course, it looks different than the norm . . . 
Jesus said "You have heard that it was said, 'Eye for eye, and tooth for tooth.' But I tell you, Do not resist (fight back at/against) an evil person. If someone strikes you on the right cheek, turn to him the other also. And if someone wants to sue you and take your tunic, let him have your cloak as well. If someone forces you to go one mile, go with him two miles. Give to the one who asks you, and do not turn away from the one who wants to borrow from you." Matthew 5:38-42
God - will you teach me to live this, to be this. May you be known as I live in you.

No comments: