Monday, October 20, 2008

"NO - DO MYSELF"

If you have spent much time with 2 year olds, "no - do myself" may sound familiar. This phrase is common around my home these days. I am thrilled that my son is trying, he is growing up, he is learning, but I also get tired of hearing him whine as he tries and gets frustrated at not quite accomplishing his task. At the same time, I smile when my son looks up at me after trying something and says "mommy, I can't do it." After I help him, he is so grateful and happy and I love to help him. When he whines, I often tell him "all you have to do is ask me for what you want because I love to help you."

I think that Jesus often says that to us: "ask me for what you want because I love you."
"Ask and it will be given to you; seek and you will find; knock and the door
will be opened to you. For everyone who asks receives; he who seeks finds; and
to him who knocks, the door will be opened. . . . If you, then, though you are
evil, know how to give good gifts to your children, how much more will your
Father in heaven give good gifts to those who ask him!" Matthew
7:7-11

When my son asks for something, I don't just ignore him. We talk about it or I give him what he asks for or I explain why it isn't possible. When I ask God for something, do I wait for him to speak to me or do I cross my fingers and hope he doesn't ignore me? Do I wait for Him to talk to me about it, to give me what I ask, to tell me what I need to know about the situation? I'm afraid that I miss out too many times when I ask but don't wait to receive. I lose out when I knock but don't expect the door to open. I often turn away before I'm given what I ask for.

Am I really asking for God, receiving God, finding God or am I actually saying "no - do myself"?

1 comment:

Grace Chapel Youth Ministry said...

reminds me of James 4:2, we have not because we ask not. It's so hard to watch a child try to do something themselves that they can't do, they get frustrated but refuse help. It is crazy how often i frustrate myself to the point of exhaustion and then have the realization that it is something God can help with.