Friday, January 2, 2009

NO MONEY, BUT TIME. NO TIME, BUT MONEY.

Over the last couple of weeks, I had two different conversations that had a large impact on me. One friend told me, "I am so eager to help those in need, to give what I can to those who have less than me, but I don't have money to give, just my time." In the chaos of raising a young family on a single income, money can be extrememly tight and even if you have time to give, it is difficult to do so with little ones in tow (not so easy to just volunteer somewhere).

Another conversation was with someone dear to me who said, "I have money to give, in fact I always give away 20% of what I make. But, I have no time to give and I have no desire to go to places where poverty exists." She has money to give (and probably time) but doesn't want to complicate her life or make a sacrifice by really seeing and beginning to understand poverty.
The King will say . . . 'Come, you who are blessed by my Father; take your
inheritance, . . . For I was hungry and you gave me something to eat. I was
thirsty and you gave me something to drink, I was a stranger and you invited me
in, I needed clothes and you clothed me, I was sick and you looked after me, I
was in prison and you came to visit me.

Then the righteous will answer him, 'Lord, when did we see you hungry and
feed you, or thirsty and give you something to drink? When did we see you a
stranger and invite you in, or needing clothes and clothe you? When did we see
you sick or in prison and go to visit you? The King will reply, 'I tell you the
truth, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers of mine, you did
for me.' - Jesus (from Matthew 25:31-40)

So many things are relative - we make comparisions. When I say the I have no money, what do I really mean? When I say I have no time, why is that? Is it true when I make either of these statements? I have no money for what? I have no spare time because it is filled with what?

I saw this site the other day and it is really powerful (by the way, I don't know much about the site, just like the calculator tool), try it out: http://www.globalrichlist.com/

Over the last couple of weeks, I've come up with some ideas on how we, as families, can be aware of poverty and do something about it whether our bills don't allow us to spend any more money or our commitments don't allow us to spend any more time. Check back soon and consider joining me and my family as we experiment with ways we can feed the hungry, give water to the thirsty, give shelter and clothes to those that have none, and care for the hurting and oppressed. I'm excited about this journey and hope you are too!!

No comments: